The Conqueror


The Conqueror
Originally uploaded by janine13.
I have conquerored Cuenca!
Ok, so I left off ... Saturday I think. Had finally found an internet cafe if I recall. Well, that day was the BEST day I´ve had so far on my trip. Everything went AWESOMELY.

I wanted to call this post Hidden Paths, because Saturday was a day of exploring hidden routes that I happened to come upon. It was amazing.

Took a bus up to the top of the city where this photo, and some others on my photo page were taken, and snapped away very happily. I noticed a zigzagging path going down, so I took it, and came upon an arch and a deserted house. Nice, but came back up. On my way back up the zigzag path, I noticed a slight cracked opening in the rocks... followed it, and came upon the most beautiful (and yes, equally dangerous) ledge in the rocks. I stooped over and made my way very carefully along it, and wow, I , am just lost for words. It was so so stunning. Just me, silence (apart from the occasional toot from the tourist train), and the view. And it was perfect weather.

Eventually I made my way back up the rocks to go to my hostal, but I didn´t make it. On the way back down I noticed a path angling down to the opposite gorge, and decided to see where it went. (see my photos) Well, 1/2 an hours walk later, feeling very very happy I´d taken that path, I decided to return. But being me, not the conventional way. I decided to do some scrambling, and some scambling I sure did. Even a bit of rockclimbing New Zealand style - in jandals! The path back would have taken me back over scenery I´d already seen, so i thought why not, I´ll go straight up!!!

Made my way up, and walked for 1/4 of an hour along a road until i got to exactly the same path I´d started on. Feeling very very thirsty but definately satisfied, I made my way back to my hostal, but on the way I thought I´d get a drink, a nice refreshing coke or something. Walked to the Plaza Mayor (the main plaza) and there are about 10-15 different places I could choose.

I noticed one door, just a door, that lead downstairs, and I thought well, I´ve had luck with paths leading down, so I went down to be greeted by a marvellous bar.... and the All Blacks playing South Africa!! Here, in Spain, on tv, of all places!!! (rugby isn´t well known here) So I watched the rugby with a beer in hand, and talked to a NZ supporter who didn´t speak english, who was from Madrid. So I relearnt the rules of rugby in Spanish and we both got on fine. He even bought me a drink when it looked like NZ was finished. Sigh, and so they were.

Went back to my hostal finally, dropped off my bag, had a shower, and went back out again, by this time it was late in the evening. Had a brilliant dinner (getting some good food here, and not feeling sick at all anymore), and wandered down to the city below.

What I won´t forget (well, how could I forget my day anyway) is chundling along the streets of old Cuenca in the tourist train at midnight to get back to my hostal. Priceless. (actually, it did have a price, however i used the ticket from the day before and sneaked on the train....). And also, when I say train, its not a proper train, its a car and carriges that are dressed up as a train. Just so that clears up any confusion :)

So that was my day. Friggggen magnificent.

Sunday, went to a swimming pool, was nice to take in some sun and jump in a pool after! I also went back to my ledge again at sunset, (see photo page) which was just as good as before. In fact, the place is so solitary, that my crumbs were still there from my lunchtime picnic.

And yesterday, a national public holiday, I made my way to where I am now. Valencia, home of the Americas Cup in 2007.

Problems: Its a holiday, EVERYTHING is shut. I stepped in dog poo (the smell haunted me all the way on the long walk to my hostel). The directions i printed off the web were wrong. The lockers here aren´t big enough. My memory card on my camera was full, so no pics yet. (trying to upload some now). The area the hostel is in seemed dodgy (but now that people have awoken, things look much better).

So yeah, had a quiet night last night (Watched 8 straight Friends episodes (there is a dvd player here)), and now just emptying my camera for the day that awaits me!!!

Farewell!!!

1 comment:

Talden said...

It seems that photo has given my brother heart palpitations.

Oh well I don't mind, sibling rivalry and alll that - feel free to get more of these awesome risky shots...

I hear that base-jumping might be popular there... Cam put down the baseball bat...