Sorry For The Wait


Out to the Headlands
Originally uploaded by janine13.
Problems, problems and then more problems. Problems with time management, problems with the blog site (it deleted my last long post which I wrote 2 days ago), and problems with my student loan not being paid.

But now I think I have a little time to fill you in.

Wow, I really haven´t said much about where I am what i´m doing etc etc.

Um. Ok.

Thursday 1st September: Arrived in Getxo, moved into my apartment, crashed, slept, welcomed in Ashley who is from San Diego.

Friday 2nd: We had our university orientation which was us sitting in a room listening to the rules etc, and then we had a written test, and a vocal test. I did pretty good, I got into track 3 (out of 4 tracks). Welcomed Giuseppe from Italy (who loves kiwis because he lived on a farm near Tokoroa for 5 months a few years ago).

Wasn´t feeling very well, but hung out during the afternoon with Andréa and Lindsay, two friends of Ashley (but not friends from america, they met in madrid). Then later on at night I hung out with Beth and Sara, we went for a walk to the port.

Saturday 3rd: Full blown sickness, I wasn´t able to go on the tour of Bilbao and Getxo - but it turns out I didn´t miss much because it was quite lame. Sleep, sleep and more sleep, achey joints, hot and cold etc - and there was a huge party at our apartment. Seriously, it was loud. I felt so lousy. At one stage i think i was hallucinating, i´m not sure, but i remember something about giraffes. Weird.

Sunday 4: Relaxed during the day, didn´t want to ruin my recovery, tho the worst had passed.

Monday 5: Went shopping with Beth and Nate - you see the highway picture in my photo page? yeah, read the blurb about that one also. maddness. running across highways. we hung out in the evening as well, went to a reallllly nice bar thing near the old port of Getxo.

Tuesday 6: First day of uni! (or school as the americans call it - noone knew what i was saying apart from Alisha, who studied in waikato uni in 2003 for a semester!)

Classes are as follows:
Mondays to Thursdays spanish from 845 until 1125. (yes, that means getting up at 730 to catch an 820 bus. its not fun adjusting!)

I have global economics on tuesdays and thursdays from 1125-1255 which is a good class - it would help if i could read the book we´re meant to be following - mines still being shipped from amazon. mondays and wednesdays are my busyiest days with managerial finance 1125-1255, and then european union from 1255-225. All three classes are quite interesting, and all have a large workload(e.g reading), but it looks easy to me as i´ve done similar classes. one thing freaked me out here, a D is actually a pass, what we´d call a C - so I really don´t want to come back with D marks because noone in nz will know that its a pass! they´ll think i failed!!!

Wednesday 6th: classes... and then went shopping!!! i bought rollerblades - and they are SUPER cool. can´t remember what i did for the night time.

Thursday: 7th: classes, then went rollerblading! and man it was fun. i went so far and with such ease!!! most of the picutres in the last post are from my rollerblading, it was beautiful weather!!! then seeing as we don´t have classes on fridays, it was time to hit the town!! we went to an irish pub in bilbao where a LOT of students were, and it was kinda hot and crowded so we floated a bit (and took poo photos, a VERY funny time we all had) (we=jeron (who looks like christian bale who played batman), Alisha and I, and then later joined by Sara and Ivan) (can´t remember where Jeron is from, alisha Idaho, sara Northern California, and ivan Idaho).

That was a great night. Got to bed at 330.

Friday: Ummmm... can´t remember... oh wait, yes i do, hungover, took it slow, talked on the webcam with a few people (friday evening for all you kiwis is a good time to catch me, its looking to be my time on the net). had a coffee (yes, i´ve started drinking coffee here, its really good) with Iñigo, a very hot spanish guy who lives in our building (and by the way this is social coffee, nothing else) at a very cool bar called Momo and then for the nighttime i hung out with Iñigo, Giuseppe, Ashley, Lindsay, Andréa, and some of Giuseppes crazy italian friends. it was cool, got home at 3ish again. This bar is just around the corner (well, 3 corners) from our place, and its truley funky.

Saturday: Well, I went to a .... crap. I have to go, the library here is closing (normal university hasn´t started yet, it starts in october, so ther eare reduced hours.)

I´ll post soon, and will tackle my large inbox of mail when I can also!!!

4 comments:

Cam said...

A 'D' is a pass huh? I'm pretty sure as an exchange student your grades aren't seen, you only get a pass or fail on your record back home. Which makes sense, considering that.

Janine said...

ah yes, but you include an academic transcript of your marks from the stay. i mean, a pass sounds bad, it sounds like you scraped through. i´d want to show my a´s!!!

Anonymous said...

a's? heheh. MANAGEMENT!!!

Janine said...

better than being a LAWGIRL!!!!